I don't like to fight the tiredness though - now is not the time to drink an espresso or listen to funk music. I want to enjoy the tiredness, wallow in it, and eventually drift off into a long and very deep dreamless sleep.
Here are some nice things to do with yourself if you're tired, and you want to embrace the weariness.
- Have a nice cup of tea and a sit down - maybe chamomile tea if its near bedtime.
- Drink a glass of cold milk - very soothing.
- Look at the pictures in Nigella Lawson's How To Be A Domestic Goddess.
- Sprinkle some lavender oil around - a small amount will make you sleepy but too much will make you very alert, so go easy.
- Listen to some ambient music. There's rather a lot of that in our house, but albums of choice for tiredness would be Inside by Flipside or Big Chill Classics.
- Don't switch on the tv - it is too stressful and anxiety inducing.
- Lie in the garden listening to the sounds around you (though this doesn't work so well if the sounds you can hear are children having a water fight or similar).
- Listen to Radio 4 - ultimately soothing and reassuring, and sometimes dry enough to send you off to sleep.
- Hum to yourself, happily but tunelessly.