Thursday 21 May 2009

Ten things

  • Leyton, where I live, is not picturesque, and does not often feature as a literary setting. So I've always perversely loved the opening line of Meera Syal's Life Isn't All Ha Ha Hee Hee: "Not even the snow could make Leyton look lovely". I think that even Meera Syal would have been impressed with the massive rainbow that appeared in the thundery skies over Leyton last weekend though.
  • I took O to the National Gallery on Saturday. We sat in front of the Impressionists and tried to copy their pictures. It did not take us long to decide that being an Impressionist was too much like hard work. Both of us are more into great sweeps of colour than lots of delicately balanced blobs of colour.
  • A deep chuckle and then a cry of "whoops-a-daisy!" from the nurse is top of my list of Things I Don't Want To Hear When I'm Having a Smear Test. And then she asked me why I looked so tense.
  • All week at work the harmonious colours of my diary, my iPod case and my little tin of tinted Vaseline have given me much pleasure.
  • The Vaseline Rosy Lips is the nicest lip balm I have ever had. Ever. I'm sorry to say that it has even knocked my homemade cocoa butter and coconut oil version off the top spot. The Vaseline one has rose and almond oil in it and smells and tastes as lovely as the tin looks.
  • Anna sent me a Be-Ro recipe booklet, which is enchanting. It even has a recipe for little biscuits called 'Sticky Blobs' - how cool!
  • I bought some embroidery transfers from Sublime Stitching. I have started on some designs from her Camp Out range and I hope that they will shortly become bunting for when we go camping.
  • We've just finished the last jar of jam from 2008. O wants to add raspberry jam to our repertoire this year so I am keeping an eye on the progress of the crops at the PYO.
  • I have bought some glow sticks from here to take camping with us this weekend. At Orchard Campsite, where we went last month, they threw handfuls of them out to all the children once the sun had set. This was such fun.
  • This is my 199th post, and it is almost exactly two years since I started this blog; that Camping Masterlist is still very much in use. I think this merits a giveaway. Come back next week to find out more!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, your camping embroideries are so cute, even I could be tempted - and I am not one of life's campers.

    I shall have to look out for that lip balm. I'm a sucker for all things rosy.

    And I think one of the few things that make old age attractive is that there will be no call to have smear tests any more. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was recommended that lip balm only yesterday! It's on my list!
    Your embroidery is gorgeous too...Happy Camping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the look of that lip balm!

    And I will definitely be nicking your list for our new attempt to become campers. What on earth is a pillow speaker?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, I have that vaseline too (no surprises there...) Rob bought it for me when I was in hospital and it is bee-yootiful! smells of sweeties.
    Your smear test story made me laugh out loud-had a similar experience several years ago and not returned since. Whoops.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of embroidered camping bunting -very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your camping embroideries!

    Hope the smear ended up OK, sounds a little scary.

    Vanessa x

    ReplyDelete
  7. BeRo Book I could not survive without mine. It has no outer cover and no index or contents page anymore. Living in New Zealand now means no chance of picking up a new one at the shops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you will have the poshest camp bunting in the world!
    lip balm sounds great. I love the carrot cake recipe in that book. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was given the be-ro recipe book years ago from my mother in law... it is great ... i love it.

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.