Tuesday 22 April 2008

Ponchos



No matter how lovely it may be, by this time of the year I am always thoroughly sick of my winter coat, and I long to be able to put it away until the autumn. But what to wear during these 'in between' seasons when it is too warm for a thick coat and scarf, but too chilly for just a t-shirt? What you need is a poncho!


Now I just LOVE ponchos. I remember even as a small child thinking that they were surely one of the best and weirdest items of clothing ever. Other than a brief few weeks about five years ago I don't think they've ever been fashionable, and once Ugly Betty started wearing a particularly hideous one to work I think even more people went off them. But I don't mind - they are great!
.

When I wear mine I feel as though I am wrapped up in a blanket. They are cosy and comforting. They're easy to wear. Throw them over your head and go. They have a slightly dashing air about them. They twirl out when you turn a corner. Small children like to stroke the fringes. At the bank where I work, my poncho makes quite a startling change from the more sedate suits and belted macs that people are used to seeing.



I have two ponchos now. The black one is crocheted cotton, bought a few years ago from Topshop. It is very light, and drapes beautifully. The pink one is a recent purchase from Sweetbrier's Etsy shop and is much thicker and warmer. Perfect for the weather right now. I love how something so beautiful and handmade, all the way from Kentucky, now travels on the Tube and hangs around the school playground!
.

The only downside of wearing my poncho is perhaps an inevitable one. I love them, so O loves them too. I bought her one last year that is still much loved. When she saw me putting on mine this morning, then she decided to wear hers too. We were having a twee 'Mini me' moment in the playground that did make me squirm slightly.
.


But it was worth it, because after I'd dropped her off I got to travel into work, wrapped in my own blanket of cosiness.

3 comments:

  1. awww - you two look adorable in your ponchos!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have that coat? What colour? I wanted it desperately and then when I went to buy one, it was gone! Damn!
    I've been deliberating on getting my poncho out (we call them 'ponka's'...for some reason!) It's not as bright or with such a lovely story behind it as yours, but snuggly all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it's great! Love the swishy photo, and it's very sweet that O wants to copy you. Like Dragonfly I wish I had bought that coat rather than the cord one. Yours looks so much smarter, whereas the cord one looks a bit scruffy now. I am quite addicted to cardigans, myself..x

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.