This is the first time I've made an Oliver + S pattern, and I didn't like it as much as the Simplicity or Ottobre patterns I've used.
Oliver + S get much praise for creating patterns which give you 'professional looking' garments. To me though, that professional finish comes at the cost of the whole pattern being far too fiddly and long winded. One of the most onerous and bizarre suggestions was to sew a line of tacking (or basting) stitches whenever you folded a seam, to give you a neat guide line to fold your seam on. I don't find folding a 1cm seam too difficult so I skipped this step whenever it was suggested.
The yoke was constructed in a very unintuitive way, and I had several sweary moments when I sewed pieces on the wrong way round or caught excess fabric up in a seam by mistake.
The bottom (dark blue) panel is made with a double thickness of fabric, and the way it is constructed means that the dress is not hemmed because there is no unfinished edge at the bottom. The pattern designers may have thought that not hemming a dress makes life easier (and hemming is tedious, I agree) but it meant that I had no adjustability with the length, and the dress has come out about 3cm shorter than I wanted.
It is a sweet dress to look at, and is indeed finished very neatly and professionally, but I found the whole process far more fiddly than was necessary.
My biggest issue, however, is that the finished dress is very wide and sack-like on O - you could fit two seven year olds inside! I think the design would work much better on a stout toddler than on a slim, leggy older child.
The pattern also contains a blouse version of this dress, and I will probably make that for O, but I don't think I'll be making another of these dresses. And I definitely would not make this pattern in gingham again - all those lines and squares to match up along the panels and the pockets did my head in - forgiving non-directional prints are the way to go with this one!