|Just some of the fruit we came back from the PYO with|
|Stewed apple and blackberries|
It has been a incredible year for fruit in London. I think the combination of wet spring and hot summer have suited the berries very well.
One of the great joys of going berry picking is the speculation about what you will do with your berries when you get home. So far this summer I have made:
- apple and redcurrant crumble (at least three of these)
- raspberry and apple crumble
- raspberry crumble (two of these)
- raspberry and almond cake (using this failsafe recipe here)
- raspberry and vanilla cake
- blackcurrant and almond cake (same recipe as above)
- raspberry coulis
- stewed apple and blackberries
- lemon and blackberry loaf cake
|Raspberry and almond cake|
We have also stirred handfuls of berries into porridge, bircher muesli and plain yogurt for breakfast. I am particularly partial to ryvita spread with cream cheese and then topped with raspberries or blackberries and a drizzle of honey. We've had so many berries that I don't even mind Olivia standing in front of the open fridge eating great handfuls of them straight from the punnet.
There is a generous abundance this year.
|About half of what we picked during a stroll through Epping Forest|