Friday 7 December 2007

Stewed fruit

I always want to call this something less reminiscent of school dinners or mass catering - the name doesn't do justice to one of the tastiest breakfasts or puddings I know. But any alternative I have tried - jewelled fruit, tempting compote - sounds pretentious and daft. So stewed fruit it is. This is easily my most frequently cooked recipe - it is rare not to find a bowl of stewed fruit in my fridge at any point


Stewed Fruit

Stone, skin, wash and chop the fruit as necessary. Put into a large heavy-bottomed pan with a little water (about half a cup for each 500g of fruit) and sugar to taste. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally, until the fruit collapses. You may need to add a little more boiling water form the kettle if it looks very dry, but go carefully - you don't want it watery.

.

Allow to cool and serve with natural yogurt, custard, vanilla ice cream or just by itself. The blackberry and apple version is incredible with a wicked spoonful of clotted cream on top.

.


Good fruit for stewing:

  • bramley (cooking) apples
  • plums, greengages or damsons
  • rhubarb
  • dried fruit such as prunes, apricots, pears or dates
  • raspberries or blackberries
  • cherries
  • fresh peaches or apricots
  • cranberries
  • bramley apples in combination with any of the above

I do as my mother always did, and always serve the stewed fruit in a large, cut-glass dish - perfect for showing off the incredible colours of the stewed fruit.


This nicely seasonal cranberry and apple version was finished off for breakfast this morning, with natural yogurt dolloped on top. Yum.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, very inspiring..making me hungry now!A good way of using up fruit from the allotment as well, we had a vast supply of rhubarb this year.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful, I wish I loved stewed fruit but it's down there with mushrooms and goats cheese :-)
    Gimme a crunchy apple any day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very fond of this information thanks for sharing with us
    obat penghilang polip gigi tradisional

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.