Saturday 7 April 2012

Cowslips

Last year I was obsessing about all the orchids in South-West France, but this year we are here a couple of weeks earlier, and this part of France has had a very harsh winter, so there are no orchids about yet.

Instead, I am obsessing about cowslips.  These beautiful spring flowers are endangered in the wild in the UK nowadays, because of the loss of their habitat.  I don't know if they are officially endangered in France too, but they are certainly thriving right here in Tarn-et-Garonne.  Along all the verges, and in all the fields up the sides of the mountains, there are big patches of these acid yellow-green flowers.

Cowslips along the verge

Cowslips

They look shy, and bashful, as they raise their little flowers just ever so slightly towards the sun.

Cowslips

They are bright, jolly, sweet little flowers - the essence of springtime.

Cowslips

1 comment:

  1. I don't - my dictionary says either 'le coucou' or 'la primavere'. The next time I see her I shall ask my parents' neighbour, who is something of an expert on all things botanical here. Watch this space! Nx

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.