Wednesday 7 September 2011

Good habits

August-September, rather than December-January, always seems to me like the end of one year and the start of the next.  The summer has finished but the new academic year is beginning.  One year's triathlon training and competing has ended for G, but there are now next year's races to enter, and a new training schedule to plan.  Tired, dusty sandals are put away and leather boots are taken out and polished to a conker-brown shine.  The summer glut of berries is stacked up on the shelf as jam, and I am dreaming of dishes made with lentils and rabbit and root vegetables.

I love this time of year.  That new pencil case feeling leaves me full of energy and plans for the year ahead - and this month I am adopting another feature usually associated with the end of the calendar; that of new habits and firm resolutions to Do Better. 

The NHS website tells me that I should be aiming to drink at least 1.2 litres of fluid daily, but despite starting the day well with a cup of tea, and then a cup or two of coffee an hour later, I often stop there and fall well short of this target on most days.  When I was in France I bought three glass water bottles, for just two euros each, to remedy this.  They now live on the bottom shelf of the fridge, chilling tap water for us all to drink. 

Good habits

My Mum and Dad had several of these glass bottles in their fridge in France, and they were responsible for me drinking much more water than I usually would at home.  Properly chilled water is much more appealing than tap water, and more 'gluggable' somehow.  The bottles look nice on the kitchen table at supper time too.

And I am hoping that my starting this new habit at a non-traditional time of year will means that it doesn't fall into the 78% of resolutions that are 'doomed to failure'.  It's only the 7th September, but I'm doing pretty well so far.

Good habits

10 comments:

  1. Good luck! all that water will offset the madeleines beautifully I am sure. Congratulations, Miriam x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good idea as usual. I used to have a jug of filtered water in the fridge. But no matter what it always ended up a bit fridge smelly. Why did I not think of nice glass bottles! I am off to the shop to look for some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't drink enough water by far and have taken to dotting (nasty plastic) bottles of tap water around the house - one next to my bed, one on my desk - in an effort to keep swigging. Weirdly, I don't like really cold water so tend not to keep it in the fridge.
    And I completely agree about the new year feeling come September.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bottles are gorgeous - I am all envy. We had similar ones on holiday but in North Yorkshire, rather than France.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spotted similar bottles in Ikea last week!! But forgot to pick them up! My sister always has them on the table at meal times! I love this time of year too. All change & new beginnings x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bottles! To remind myself to drink water I have a water check list by my side as I work and try to hit at least 5 checks a day. As I love to check my off my lists it really helps :-).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm good about water with meals, but less so throughout the day. Happy hydrating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea. September is my 'New Year' as well, but my (January) resolution was to try to see every day as new year's day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. heehee, I bought three of those bottles last week too !!(obviously) but mine are full of homemade raspberry vodka! (am sure is just as good for you as water, but won't be checking on NHS website)x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bottles are fab, I have a dozen here and a further dozen in France, but I only use two for water, the rest are for sloe gin!

    I agree much better to start resolutions in September !

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.