Wednesday 1 February 2012

I looked away...and when I came back it was nearly the end of winter

Today we start the last month of winter, and as if by magic it feels as though spring is nearly here.  Every year the lengthening of the days takes me completely by surprise.  I look out of the window one late afternoon at the beginning of February, and realise that it is still light outside.  When did that happen?

5pm February 1st
The view from the sitting room window - 5pm today

It makes me a little sad, because I love winter very much.  I feel more alive and energised in winter, and I drive G mad by flinging open windows, wittering on about how wonderful it is to feel the bracing wind on your cheeks, and enthusing about knitting and woollen garments.

Spring leaf cowl
Spring leaf cowl

I have added another winter woollen to my collection today.  This green leaf cowl is the perfect end-of-winter-start-of-spring item.  The glorious acid green reminds me of new spring shoots, and it has an abstract pattern of leaves winding up it.  It was a very quick knit - and should you wish, you can see the full geeky details on Ravelry here.

But my goodness, it's cold enough here in London to need to add woollen things to your neck both indoors and outdoors.


I'm cold today

This is me at about 10 o'clock this morning, burrowing into my new cowl to try and stay warm.  By lunchtime I'd added a shawl, a hat, some armwarmers and two pairs of socks to my outfit. I looked like Mrs Tiggywinkle, so I gave in, turned the central heating on and removed a couple of layers.

The days are getting a little longer, but the temperatures are still thoroughly wintry.  This makes me very happy - winter still has a while to go after all.  Now that the cowl is finished I'm turning my knitting attentions back to the sock yarn shawl, which is now so big that it takes me over twenty minutes to knit a row.  I am wondering if it will be ready for its first wear in winter or spring?

7 comments:

  1. it is lovely that it is staying light for longer, but I'm ready for it to be a bit warmer too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you've written this post. After several milder weeks winter has hit again here and I needed someone to remind me of the joys of it, rather than leave me itching for spring. You've shown that a bunch of daffodils can give you a spring fix while you still enjoy the chill and revel in hunkering down. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! Am off in search of some more daffs today - this morning they were looking a little sad and droopy. Nancy x

      Delete
  3. I like that the evenings are getting lighter but sick of this threat of snow!!! I love your cowl - do you have a link to the pattern??? thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ali, I'm glad you like the cowl! You can get to the pattern by going to the Ravelry Page for this cowl: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/TheListWriter/abstract-leaves-cowl and then by clicking in the About This Pattern section on the right hand side of the page. It was a really interesting (and quick) pattern to knit. Nancy x

      Delete
  4. The very fact you can even think of leaving your heating off this week! Good grief.

    I haven't been warm for days. With heating. And blankets.

    Winter is still well underway up here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh what a fabulous cowl! Definitely cowl weather at the moment. Though I can see that one going right through to early spring :) K x

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.