Sunday 5 February 2012

Snowflake pie

Crunch

It snowed copiously last night.  Which meant that the children were out of the house and chucking snowballs around before breakfast.  They came back in briefly, bolted down some toast while their gloves dried on the radiator, and then disappeared back into the streets and parks of East London to make more snowballs.

Snow wasn't going to stop G from going for a long training run either.  A two hour fifteen minute run through Epping Forest was scheduled and he saw no reason why having to hop through snowdrifts or skid on the ice should stop him.  So he disappeared into the white stuff after breakfast too, wearing all kinds of peculiar technical running gear, designed to keep out the cold.

Home alone, I put on the coffee, switched on the radio and settled down in the kitchen to make a pie while I caught up on The Archers omnibus, Denise Lewis on Desert Island Discs and the latest episode of The Unbelievable Truth.  I love the Radio 4 schedules on a Sunday morning.

My pie had a warm, wintry, simple filling of carrot, potato, celery, onion and corned beef in it, bound together with some herbs and a good squirt of ketchup.  It is one of my favourite recipes from The Hairy Bikers Perfect Pies.  I decorated it with snowflakes and every last scrap of it was eaten up.  It's tiring work being out in the snow.

Snowflake pie ready for the oven

Snowflake pie

11 comments:

  1. That pie looks amazing! Sounds like a wonderful day. Can't beat Radio 4 on a Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's another Radio-4-Sunday-morning-fan! That pie looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the Radio 4 schedule on a Sunday morning is a thing of wonder and delight. I really enjoy pottering around in the kitchen whilst the radio talks to me.

      Delete
  3. No snow in Bristol. Boo hoo! Though I dare say some of the folk whose lives have been disrupted in other parts of the country would have been happy to swap with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm, looks yummy and just the thing for warming up after being out in all this snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. I would eat that, snow or no snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum!! I'm a big fan of pie but sadly no one else is really a fan, maybe this on would tempt them??

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you all had a lovely Sunday! We didn't get enough snow to play in unfortunately - the little Lockets were very disappointed! lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. OUr snow melted overnight... so I had three grumpy children. The husband was happy because the rugby was cancelled though! Nothing worse that standing on the sideline on a freezing training session let me tell you...

    That pie looks delicious. (note to self: make more pies)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like such a comforting pie and I love the snowflakes. I have the very same pie bird. I don't know why I like them so much - a pie would be alright without one but to use one just feels good.

    I'm with you on the Sunday morning schedule. Desert Island discs is so good and I've been enjoying dipping into the archive too.

    It sounds as though you had a really good morning.

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.